Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Almost Half Way There- Week 16/17

Hello all! Been a long time since my last blog entry. Today I had my 4 month doctors appointment. If you are wondering why I put 16/17 for my week it is because due to the first ultrasound I would be 16 weeks this week, but if you go off my last period I am actually at 17 weeks. I know it's a little confusing, I really should just pick one or the other, but I can't seem to disregard the first ultrasound which placed the baby five days behind. The next ultrasound should give us more information about how far along the baby is in reality.
The appointment today went smoothly and really quick. Of course they started off with the scale, but I already knew the outcome since I weighed myself last week at the gym. I was floored to see that I gained five pounds since the last weigh in at 12 weeks. I went from 125 lbs to 130. There was only once in my life when I weighed that much and it was when I was on a medication that caused me to unnaturally gain weight. I am just not used to seeing that much weight gain over such a short period of time, but I had to remind myself that it is not all me. The doctor even reassured me by saying that I am making up for lost time since I gained very little the first trimester. Sure enough once I reached the second trimester it seemed my body decided to pack it on. Although it is reassuring that I can still fit into my normal pants even though I can only zip them half way up. So at least it is not going into my butt or thighs.

The doctor then checked the heart beat, which usually in the past takes a few minutes to find, but this time he found it right when he placed the Doppler on my stomach. I was shocked how quick we heard it. The heart beat was about 147 bpm, which is a lot lower from the first two times. When I asked the doc the heart beat I guess he could tell I was wondering about the sex and he reminded me that it is an old wives tale and that this just means that the baby is at rest. The baby has also grown since the first Doppler reading, which means the heart beat should go down.
To be honest even though I prefer a girl, I will be fine with either one. This is our first kid, so we will have plenty of chances to have both. But that doesn't stop Cha from teasing me by calling our kid Spike. He thinks he is so funny!
Well, it won't be long, only two in a half more weeks until all this guessing will be over. I made an appointment today for the two hour long ultrasound on July 27, about a week before we go on vacation to Beaver Creek Colorado with the rest of Charlie's family. Get ready to do lots of baby shoppin girls!

1 comment:

  1. Ready, willing and able! Beaver Creek is limited, but I'm sure we'll find something.

    Love, Nina

    ReplyDelete